Home History Contact us Groups Kings & Queen's Scouts Park Farm Diamond Jubilee Links

Banstead District Archive

 Copyright © Banstead Scout Council 2004-2017

Surname

1st Name

Role

Group

Appointed

Cancelled

Plimmer

G. A.

GSM

4th Banstead


20/12/1934

Surname

1st Name

Role

Group

Appointed

Cancelled

Lewis

H Russell

SM

4th Banstead

06/08/1938

31/10/1947

Group Scout Master

Scout Masters

4th  Banstead

6/6/1933

4th Banstead (The Lodge) registered with the newly formed Banstead District

Reg No: 15294

31/5/1934

Transfer to Chertsey as 1st Longcross





3/8/1938

4th Banstead (Banstead Hall School) registers


Also - possible registration as 21693

Reg. No: 19595

Closed by 1947

Like many groups, the 1st Banstead was impacted by the 2nd World War and fell into dormancy.  Although the last warrant is cancelled in 1947, it is quite likely that the group had closed during the war.  Many warrants were left open until 1949 as soldiers made their way back from the fields of war, or sadly, not at all.

However, in 1938, the 4th Banstead opens and it is also known as Banstead Hall School.

Pasted from <http://www.bansteadhistory.com/houses_az.html>

The Lodge

The Lodge was built in 1860 as a farmhouse on the fields known as Collins Lands. It fronted Brighton Road between Lyme Regis Road and Chipstead Road. Later, the house was enlarged and became a private residence with ample grounds and facilities including stables, outbuildings, cottage, and gardens.

In 1881 it was occupied by Mr Harrington Hudson JP, a widower, with his two daughters and four servants.

The main parts of the property (i.e. all except a piece of land at the corner of Lyme Regis Road) were purchased by Miss Mary Ellen Mason in 1898 and 1900 respectively. Miss Mason made considerable extensions and alterations to the building and opened there a high class "finishing college" for young ladies. In 1904 a further

In 1930 the college was closed and subsequently let by Miss Mason for use as a Boys' Preparatory School.

In 1933 the newly formed Banstead Urban District Council bought the property for use as the Council house.

In 1986 the house was enlarged and used as offices for Reigate and Banstead Borough Council.

In 2002 all the buildings were demolished and a block of flats called "Holmewood House" was erected on the site of the main building. The new frontage closely resembles the original.

The 4th Banstead is very unusual.  When Banstead was registered as a District in 1934, the 4th Banstead is mentioned on the document but with the following annotation:

“At present, this group are guests of the Edgeware District by special arrangement with IHQ.”

It seems likely that the Prep School had moved to a new home and the group had moved with it judging by its later transfer to become 1st Longcross.